This recipe was a happy surprise. My husband's family was staying with us for the weekend and due to our garden we were sending them home with a lot of our extra vegetables. We had a ton of tomatillos and so my sister-in-law and I decided to make some tomatillo salsa, because it is amazing. I had a recipe I liked for a ranch tomatillo salsa but I only had "Fiesta Ranch" dressing mix at home. I was shocked - I always have a ranch dressing packet on hand.
We decided to go for it anyway and it turned out so good that my husband just requested I make it again! I honestly can't decide if I like the regular version or this version more now.
During the Summer I always have a container of tomatillo salsa in our fridge. We put it on everything, mostly Mexican food dishes but also pork hamburgers or anything we can think of.
While I love this recipe, also check our Rachel's healthy version of tomatillo salsa, which is amazing!
FIESTA RANCH TOMATILLO SALSA
- 6 to 7 tomatillos
- 1 pkg Fiesta Ranch dressing packet
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- Take the husks off the tomatillos and wash the stickiness off of them
- Chop up the cilantro, just to get it off the cilantro bunch, you don’t have to chop it up very small at all since the blender will take care of it.
- Put all ingredients in a blender and mix well.
- Serve with chips, in tacos, on pork burgers, or anything you want.
*A substitute for buttermilk, if you need one, is 1 cup milk mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Mix them together and let it sit for two minutes and it’s ready to use.