These cupcakes were inspired by this drink:
Have you had one of these before!? This was probably my first one and as you can see it is nearly gone. You should really give them a try. I drank this one and took two to go.
So, naturally, I had to figure out a way to incorporate this deliciousness in to a cupcake. My Sister-In-Laws birthday was coming up and the first thing I thought to do was to make orange creamsicle cupcakes to help us celebrate.
She drove down from Boise to visit us along with some other family and friends for her birthday weekend (so nice of her to come see us on her birthday instead of the other way around, huh?) so I surprised them all with orange creamsicle cupcakes. They honestly loved them and kept going back for more. Not to mention they served as breakfast for us on Sunday morning - what could be better?
Here is the recipe if you want to give these a try yourself. Not only are they orange creamsicle cupcakes covered with orange creamsicle frosting but they are also stuffed with delicious cream filling.
ORANGE CREAMSICLE CUPCAKES
INGREDIENTS FOR CUPCAKES
- 1 pkg white cake mix
- 1 pkg cheesecake pudding mix
- 1 pkg orange jello mix
- 1 ¼ cups orange juice
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 (7 oz) marshmallow creme (for cream filling)
- ½ cup unsalted butter (for cream filling)
INGREDIENTS FOR FROSTING
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp water
- Orange food coloring
DIRECTIONS FOR CUPCAKES
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix all ingredients together except the marshmallow creme and butter
- Put cupcake liners in to two cupcake pans and fill each cupcake 2/3 full of batter
- Bake for 19 minutes and let cool
- Using a knife cut out a small hole in the center of the cupcake
- Soften the ½ cup butter slightly and slice in to small rectangle pieces
- Mix the butter and marshmallow creme together using a hand mixer
- Using a piping bag and tip, pipe marshmallow creme mixture in to the center of each cupcake to fill the hole you made
- Once the below frosting is done, put it in a piping bag with a tip and pipe it on the top of each cupcake, covering the marshmallow creme that still shows
DIRECTIONS FOR FROSTING
- Once the cream cheese and butter are softened, mix the butter, cream cheese, orange extract and vanilla together
- Add powdered sugar one cup at a time
- Mix in the 1 tbsp water
- Add orange food coloring as desired
Recipe inspired by Bird On A Cake.