This 4th of July we were invited down to our cousin's new house to celebrate. I needed to throw together a side dish to take with quick since - as is typical with our family - we were notified of the invitation at the last minute. I decided to pull together what I had on hand and wing it for a potato salad. Now, my mom makes the absolute BEST potato salad and I've never been able to perfect her recipe. She has several recipes like that that really aren't recipes but more a finely tuned concoction that only she can create. So I thought it was time that I try and create my own potato salad recipe. I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with what I came up with. The folks at the party had some pretty great things to say as well. Try it and let me know what you party guests think!
Picnic Potato Salad
- 1 Cup Mayonaise
- 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 TBSP + 1 tsp Ranch Dressing Mix
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 5 Pounds Red Potatoes, Cubed into 1" Pieces
- 1/2 Red Onion, Diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, Diced
- 8 Eggs, Hard Boiled
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- Boil red potatoes until just soft. Don't over boil. Drain and allow to cool.
- Mix to combine mayonaise, sour cream, ranch dressing mix, garlic salt, salt, cayenne pepper, red onion, and green bell pepper.
- Peel and cool hard boiled eggs.
- Add potatoes and eggs to mayo mixture and combine well.
- Let sit in refrigerator for a few hours before serving.