About two years ago I went to a BBQ where someone had brought this salsa to share. Since I am not a huge fan of tomatoes I don't typically like salsas, but I kept going back to the food table for more of this. Naturally I asked for the recipe from my friend who brought it and now I would love to share it with each of you. It isn't your typical salsa, which is probably why I like it so much, but it is full of yummy beans and veggies and a shot of sugar to top it all off.
VEGGIE BEAN SALSA
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can black-eyed peas
- 1 can white corn
- 1 med red onion, diced
- 3 large stalks celery, diced
- ½ of a jar of Jalapenos, diced
- Combine sugar, oil and vinegar on stove until sugar dissolves.
- Finely chop onion, celery and jalapenos and place in a large bowl.
- Drain and rinse the beans, peas and corn, then add to chopped vegetables.
- Stir in the oil mixture prepared in Step 1.
- Let the mixture sit in the fridge for a 4 hours, or overnight.
- Drain out all remaining oil and serve with tortilla chips.
Try serving salsa in a tostada or taco salad bowl for a different look!