I would have to say that lasagna is one of my favorite things to make. I think it might be because it's very similar to playing with legos, but it's cooking so I'm allowed to do it more often without being judged. However sometimes I just don't feel like eating my - albeit delicious - red sauce and turkey lasagna. Since my best friend from high school is coming to visit us this week <<insert panic, excitement, and the mad dash to clean every inch of my house here>>, I thought it would be a great time to switch it up. I had seen a white lasagna recipe floating around pinterest but it has sun-dried tomatoes which I am not terribly fond of so I decided to wing it and try my own.
Now be warned, I would not label this as 'heart healthy', 'low-cal', 'clean eating' or any other good for you thing. I would however label it tasty as heck! This thing is seriously divine you guys. Like ah-may-zing! If you are looking for a delicious, creamy, comfort food dish, try this one. I usually have all the ingredients on hand so it's fast (seriously, in the time you can cook that preservative filled frozen lasagna, you can build and cook this all natural bad boy) and easy to make. Try it tonight and tell us what you think!
I always cook a couple extra lasagna noodles in case they break or get stuck together. Cooking them with a little oil in the water and then rinsing them in cold water reduces the chances of them sticking.
Lasagna is one of those things that I like to make in bulk and freeze. I usually just double or triple my recipe and split it between which ever pans I'd like. That way I can use it for a non-prep, quick meal. I can also use them to take to friends, families, or neighbors who need a meal.
Creamy White Chicken and Veggie Lasagna
- 6 - 12 Lasagna Noodles
- 2 Cooked and Shredded Chicken Breasts
- 1 1/2 Cups Sour Cream
- 2 - 8 oz. Packages Cream Cheese
- 1 - 10 oz. Package Frozen Chopped Spinach
- 1 - 14 oz. Can Artichoke Hearts
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Red Onion, Diced
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Ground Basil
- 1/4 tsp Ground Oregano
- 2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, Divided
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large pot, boil and drain lasagna noodles according to package directions. Rinse with cold water, set aside
- In large saucepan, cook and drain frozen spinach. Turn off heat and return to pan.
- In a large skillet heat up 1 TBSP olive oil. Saute red onions and garlic together until just tender, set aside.
- Drain and chop artichokes.
- Add artichokes, shredded chicken, red onions, and garlic to spinach pan. Mix to combine.
- In large skillet heat cream cheese, sour cream, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, garlic powder, chopped basil, ground oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Heat until melted and well combined.
- Add about 3/4 of the white sauce to the chicken and veggie mixture.
- Layer 1/2 of the remaining mixture on bottom of greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Carefully layer 3-4 lasagna noodles on top of mixture.
- Once chicken, veggie, and sauce mixture has cooled, add 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Spread 1/2 of chicken and veggie mixture on top of lasagna noodles.
- Layer next 3-4 lasagna noodles on top of chicken and veggie mixture.
- Add remaining chicken and veggie mixture to top of noodles.
- Top with remaining 3-4 lasagna noodles.
- Spread the rest of the sauce over top of noodles.
- Top with 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup parmesan cheeses.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20-25 minutes (40-45 if frozen).
- Remove aluminum foil and broil to brown cheese.
- Remove from oven and cool for about 5 minutes before serving.