I made these cupcakes for the first time for a work potluck my department held at a time when I was the only girl in my department. It was me and about 12 other men, who were very nice. But, the surprising thing was - they loved them! They thought it was so cool that they looked like Billiard Balls. It was a huge hit and the only dessert brought to the potluck so they were gone in an instant.
If you want to make them yourself, here is how!
- White cake mix
- Eggs, oil and water (ingredients to make your cake mix, check your box)
- White whipped frosting
- Green food coloring
- Black food coloring
- White chocolate candy melts used to melt down chocolate for dipping (you can get these at Michaels and Walmart in their cake decorating section)
- Sprinkles in the colors of billiard balls: red, dark red, purple, blue, orange, yellow, green, black, and white.
- Wax paper
- Cupcake liners
- Mix up your cake mix and dye the mixture green. Bake your cupcakes according to the package instructions.
- Frost your cupcakes with white frosting. Reserve a little bit of your white frosting and dye it black. This will be used to write the billiard ball numbers on the white chocolate candy melts.
- Cut strips of your wax paper; see Step 3 image below for approximate sizes. The strips will go on the side of each cupcake so they don't need to be very big.
- Place two strips of wax paper on either side of a frosted cupcake, leaving a strip of white frosting open in the center of the cupcake.
- Place a small pile of sprinkles on a plate. Then, dip the cupcake in the sprinkles, only the center white section that does not have wax paper on it should get sprinkles applied to the frosting.
- Remove the two wax paper strips from the frosted and sprinkled cupcake. The white frosting underneath the wax paper strips will get messed up, but that is okay.
- You are going to cover those two white frosting strips that are leftover with white sprinkles and no one will notice. Put a pile of white sprinkles on a plate and roll the white sides of your striped cupcake through those sprinkles. Don't worry about getting white sprinkles mixed in with your colored sprinkles, since the frosting in that section is already covered with sprinkles it isn't a problem.
- For the full colored billiard balls you will follow the same process of dipping the frosted cupcakes in sprinkles, but you do not need to worry about using the wax paper since the entire cupcake is one color.
- Follow this process of applying sprinkles to your cupcakes for the entire set up billiard balls. You will need one striped billiard ball and one non-striped billiard ball for the following colors: red, dark red, blue, green, yellow, orange, and purple. You will need one black full colored billiard ball for the 8 ball and one full white colored billiard ball for the cue ball.
- Take out your black dyed frosting and put it in a frosting bag. Here is a tutorial on how to use a frosting bag and tip if you would like some pointers. I believe I used a size 4 tip.
- Take your frosting bag and write the appropriate numbers on the back of the white chocolate candy melts. The appropriate numbers for each color are:
1 - full yellow; 2 - full blue; 3 - full red; 4 - full purple; 5 - full orange; 6 - full green; 7 - full dark red; 8 - full black; 9 - striped yellow; 10 - striped blue; 11 - striped red; 12 - striped purple; 13 - striped orange; 14 - striped green; 15 - striped dark red; no number - full white.
- Place the appropriate number / candy melt on the appropriate billiard ball.
You are done! Enjoy your cupcakes!