These popcorn cupcakes are so cute and since they are made from mini cupcakes they are the perfect snack size - very similar to real popcorn! I found I kept going back to grab another one as a small treat :) I hope you enjoy them too!
These are great for a movie themed party, perhaps a movie marathon, the Oscars or the Grammys, or any time!
Do you want to make these cupcakes for your next party? Here's how you can!
What you will need:
- Yellow cake mix
- Eggs, water, oil (items to make cake mix with - check your box)
- Whipped white frosting
- White mini marshmallows
- Yellow mini marshmallows (they come in the multi-colored pack)
- White mini cupcake liners
- Mini cupcake pan
Here are the instructions:
- Bake the mini cupcakes according to package directions.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely, if you don't the frosting will melt off your cupcakes.
- Frost your mini cupcakes with white frosting.
- It will take two marshmallows to make each popcorn kernel. Take one mini marshmallow and cut it in to thirds across the round side, not the end.
- Arrange the marshmallow you cut in to thirds in to three 'leafs', touching in the center.
- Using a piping bag and a small tip (I used a size 4) put a small dab of white frosting in the center of the three marshmallow 'leafs'. (Click here for a tutorial on how to use a piping bag and tip)
- Put one complete mini marshmallow in the center of the three 'leafs' to make one popcorn kernel.
- You will want 4 to 5 popcorn kernels per mini cupcake. Make as many popcorn kernels as you will need, remembering to make both white and yellow kernels.
- Attach the popcorn kernels to your cupcake - they will stick because you frosted the top of your mini cupcakes already with white frosting.