Are you ready to BBQ this Summer!? I hope so! These cupcakes are the perfect compliment to a Summer BBQ - a great dessert item after a hamburger or hot dog - yum!
Here is how you can make these for your next BBQ.
What you need:
- Yellow cake mix
- Eggs, water and oil (ingredients to make your cake mix; check the box)
- White whipped frosting
- Large marshmallows
- Black food coloring
- Red sprinkles
- Oreo cookies
- Brown cupcake liners
- (I also have powdered sugar pictured but I ended up not using it - I was going to sprinkle it on the top of the cupcake 'coals' but I liked it more without the powdered sugar so I left it off - totally up to you)
- Prepare cupcakes according to package directions
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting or the frosting will melt off
- Crush the Oreo cookies; I did this in a plastic bag and then continued crushing them with a potato masher in a bowl.
- Frost all cupcakes with white frosting
- Cut marshmallows in to all different shapes, 1/2 size and 3/4 size are good. I also cut some at an angle.
- Place marshmallows on top of white frosting on cupcakes in various patterns, about three to four marshmallows per cupcake, to resemble coals.
- Put the marshmallow cupcakes in the freezer for about 10 minutes to harden the marshmallows on to the cupcake. Put the cupcakes on a cookie sheet to make this a little easier.
- Put the rest of the white frosting in a microwavable bowl. Put a little black food coloring in the bowl and mix it up so it turns gray.
- Microwave the gray frosting for about 25 to 30 seconds until it is soupy.
- Take the marshmallow cupcakes out of the freezer; dip each one in to the gray frosting to coat it down to the brown cupcake liner. Put the cupcakes on a cookie sheet when done to make clean up easier.
- While the frosting on the dipped cupcakes is still wet, sprinkle red sprinkles and crushed Oreo cookies over the top of them.
- You can use the extra crushed Oreos to surround the cupcakes for effect when finished.
Enjoy your BBQ!