It has been a long week full of wonderful birthday celebrations. My husband made me a mean breakfast, I had an amazing sushi date with my best friends, and most importantly I got to sleep in. With all that greatness, I think it's easy to understand how I might have let my tasty treat get away from me. So I had to find something easy that I could just throw in the oven and call it good, but I also have a reputation to protect so some boxed treat wasn't going to cut it.
When thinking simple I tend to think of bars so I started to search pinterest with the ladies at my office and came across some tasty salted caramel recipes. I decided that the chocolate chip cookie bars were the way to deliver the salted caramel treat.
These treats were so easy to make (I was able to make them after our late sushi date with friends) and tasty to boot! My husband could barely wait for them to cool and I got plenty of compliments from folks at the office. I made the mistake of trying to bake them on 375 and they started to brown around the edges and the center didn't cook as much so it took a little too long to work that out and get them baked without burning. So I recommend dropping it down to 350 and letting them bake for 30-40 minutes. Let me know what you think!
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: 30 - 40 Minutes
3 tsp. Vanilla Extract
8 -12 oz. Milk Chocolate Chips
8 -12 oz. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 10 oz. Butterscotch Caramel Sauce
5 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 tsp. Baking Soda
2 tsp. Salt
2 Cups Butter, softened
1 ½ Cups Brown Sugar
1 ½ Cups White Sugar
1. Position rack to the center of the oven and preheat to 350°
2. Place flour, baking soda, and salt in large mixing bowl and whisk together.
3. In bowl of mixer beat together butter and sugars until smooth using paddle attachment. Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth.
4. Gradually add flour mixture until well combined.
5. Transfer to large bowl and mix in the chocolate chips with a spoon or spatula.
6. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. This recipe will also fill a small 5 x 7 baking dish so grease a smaller dish as well.
7. Split the dough and press a little under half of it into the bottom of the baking dish(es).
8. Pour caramel into a microwavable bowl and microwave for about 30 seconds until softened. Stir in sea salt to taste.
9. Spread caramel over pressed dough, trying to keep about ½ inch from the edges.
10. Place remaining dough on piece of wax paper, press down, and shape into 9 x 13 (and 5 x 7) piece. Place on top of caramel and press edges down to meet the edges of the bottom dough. Repeat for smaller dish.
11. Place in oven and cook for 30 – 40 minutes until golden brown.
12. Remove and let cool. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Downloadable recipe for Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars.