The last time I went to the grocery store I was trying to be healthier, so I bought a whole bunch of bananas with the best of intentions to eat them for breakfast, snacks, and to add them to my breakfast freezer smoothies. Even with all my wonderful ideas on what to do with my bananas, some of them still ended up going brown before I could get to them. Surprise Surprise... As I am sure you guessed, this is not the first time this has happened.
In the past I have used the brown bananas to make banana bread, mini banana bread loaves, and banana nut muffins. All of which were delicious. But this time, I wanted to try something new, so I threw together these yummy Iced Banana Spice Cookies!
My husband came home from work and took one whiff of the kitchen and immediately discovered the cookies and ate five of them. I hadn't even had time to frost them yet and he loved them even without the frosting! I have to say, I prefer them with the frosting, but that might have something to do with my affinity for sugar (hence my effort to eat more bananas and be healthier that was at least a partial failure).
I hope you have a chance to try these bananas as well - let us know what you think!
ICED BANANA SPICE COOKIES
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 ½ cups flour, separated in to 1 cup and 1 ½ cups
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 + 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds.
- Add 1 cup flour, sugar, eggs, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and vanilla to the butter. Mix well.
- Mix in the remaining 1 ½ cups flour.
- Add mashed bananas to the mixture. Mix well.
- Add chopped walnuts to the mixture. Mix well.
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9 minutes.
- Soften butter slightly, just some – not so it is melted
- Beat the butter until it is fluffy
- Add 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar and mix well.
- Add 1/8 cup milk and 1 tsp vanilla and mix well.
- Add 1 cup powdered sugar and mix well.
- Add 1 tbsp milk and mix well.