Where can you get 6 pieces of fresh fruit in 3 varieties (2 pieces each), 5 varieties of fresh vegetables, 2 pounds chicken breast, and a loaf of bread for $15?
Or 6 pounds of meat (2 pounds chicken, 2 pounds beef, and 2 pounds bacon) 10 pieces of fruit (2 pieces of 5 varieties), 5 vegetables, and a loaf of bread for $27?!
This week we got a bag of potatoes, a bag of oranges, a loaf of bread, 2 artichokes, a head of lettuce, a head of broccoli, 2 grapefruits, 1 pomegranate, 4 apples (my husband snagged one before I could take this picture), 4 kiwis, 2 containers of tomatoes, 2 pounds of chicken, 2 pounds of beef, and 2 pounds of bacon for $27. And, it was all packaged up for us and we just went to pick it up at a location about a mile from our house. It took about 5 minutes. So easy and delicious!
I have never been so impressed with a co-op before. Most of the co-ops I had heard about you had to commit for a certain amount of time and you had to go pick it up each Saturday between 10 AM and 11 AM. So, if you weren’t available one Saturday then you just lost that food you had paid for since you committed for about 6 months. I couldn’t make that work so I never signed up.
Then, I found the best community co-op ever. If you want to cut to
the chase, visit www.thecommunitycoop.org.
The highlights explaining why this particular co-op is so fantastic are:
1) You order per week, so if you want to get food that Saturday you order it by Monday night and you go pick it up the next Saturday. If you are out of town or busy on that Saturday you just don’t place an order that week.
2) You can order from a huge variety of options, I will post the list from Nov 3rd, 2012 below so you can get an idea. This list changes slightly week by week but it has been pretty consistent.
3) You can get meat! All of the co-ops I have seen are just for fruits and vegetables, which is great but my husband and I enjoy a good hamburger so we were happy that meat was included.
4) Some people don’t love that you can’t pick the fruits and veggies you are going to get, but I love it! I have tried some veggies I never would have bought at the store and they have been delicious. My husband and I pretty much like most fruits and veggies, and what one of us doesn’t like the other usually does like, so for us it works out great.
5) The food is so fresh and from local sources! My husband could not stop raving about how delicious the chicken was.
6) There are a million pick up sites! The co-ops I have usually seen you have to pick it up at only one location, that was nowhere near where I lived. With so many pick up spots for this co-op it only takes me 5 minutes to go pick it up each Saturday because the pick up location is so close!
7) They also have Market Sales that are super cheap, even cheaper than the regular prices, on Mondays and Thursdays from 3:30 - 6:30 p.m. at 1726 South 700 West in Salt Lake City, UT.
There is a huge variety of packages and individual items that you can order from the Community Co-op. They change slightly each week but the main items stay the same so you can continue to order something similar each week. Since they change slightly, visit the Community Co-op order page to see what is available this week: VISIT THE CO-OP.
Hopefully you can find a pick up location close to where you live. Some of the sites are pick up locations on Fridays but most are on Saturdays. Some pick up locations are only available on certain Saturdays of the month but the majority are available every Saturday. You can tell based on the following:
- RED pick up Site: Available every Saturday of the month
- YELLOW pick up site: Available the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month
- GREEN pick up site: Available the 3rd Saturday of the month
- BLUE pick up site: Available the 1st Saturday of the month
Check out all the pick up sites here: VISIT THE CO-OP PICK UP LOCATIONS
We hope you love the Community Co-op as much as we do. Enjoy!